Copies of the Insurance policy can be obtained by Show Organisers by emailing the Safety Officer

Tim Hawkes

There continues to be a considerable amount of misunderstanding and questions raised about the Trust’s Insurance Policy. It is arranged for the protection of the members, shows and all activities undertaken by individuals and groups of the members of the MVT in the normal course of the Trust’s activities.  It does not cover to individual members except where they are involved in authorised and organised activities.  Authorisation is normally obtained for shows by the Area Secretary from Council.  Other events may not need any authorisation from Council but still require the authorisation of the Area Secretary..

First, here is a short explanation of the cover provided by the national insurance combined insurance policy. 

The policy includes three Sections:​​​

1. Public Liability for a limit of indemnity of £15 million.

2. Employer’s Liability for the minimum legal required limit of £10 million.

2. Employer’s Liability for the minimum legal required limit of £10 million.

It is the Public Liability Section which gives rise to most questions :

Question 1:


I am organising a show locally – what cover is provided by the Trust’s policy?



Should an Area or a member organise a show which is run solely under the auspices of an Area of the Trust or, indeed a show is classified as a National Show, then the MVT Public Liability Insurance will cover all the activitiesduring the organising period, setting up the show grounds, during the event, and clearing away after the event. However in order to do this the Area Secretary must go to the website and submit it as a Trust event.


It will be noted that “the activities” is underlined.  When organising a show/event it is essential that activities being carried out by non-members are covered by Public Liability Insurance.  It is the responsibility of the Show Organiser to request evidence of this cover.  This will include all commercial firms, such as stall holders, mobile caterers, any displays team and any living history groups..  Note that should the land for the show be rented then the Public Liability policy provides indemnity to principals (i.e. Landlords).

Question 4:


Following on from Q.3 Is a member of the Trust covered should a member of the public trip over my awning guy rope or tent peg?



For all such personal equipment your home insurance should be able to provide damage cover and your actions, whilst following a personal pursuit, would also be covered under the Personal Public Liability section of your home insurance policy.  You should check the cover provided by your policy and then in the event of a claim against you this should provide the required cover.

Question 5:


I am attending a show with some other military vehicle collectors and the show organisers have asked to see a copy of the Trust’s national public liability policy – am I required to produce this?



On all shows not organised under the auspices of the MVT we would not be able to grant indemnity from our policy to other show organisers (it is a specific exclusion in our contract) and therefore would not permit the issue of such evidence to that organisation.  This usually arises more specifically where a ‘local authority’ or other such government body is involved or are organising that show.  It will be sufficient for you to show your own individual motor insurance certificate on entering your vehicle.

Question 2:  


We as an Area of the Trust are collectively going to a show not organised by The MVT – what cover do we have under the Trust's policy?



There are many shows around the country organised by like-minded groups. Such groups would have their own liability insurance (like The Trust’s Policy) under which the show would be covered.  Other show organisers will also take the precaution of requiring evidence of current liability/third party insurance before allowing an exhibitor to enter to a show ground.  However as an Area collectively visiting such a show, and thereby representing the Trust, there would be contingency cover under the Trust’s policy for a negligent incident perpetrated collectively within your own allocated enclave (such as a roped off area).

Question 3:  


I am visiting a show taking my camping equipment/caravan or built-in sleeping accommodation – what cover do I have?



Assuming that the show is not a Trust event then there would be little or no cover under the Trust’s insurance.  Likewise your Historic Vehicle Insurance policy would not cover camping equipment (whether “collectible” or new).  Your camping equipment can be covered under a household policy or by the Camping Club’s insurance scheme.  Your caravan is covered under your motor vehicle policy for third party insurance whilst attached in transit and under a separate caravan policy (which you should have) for liability and damage.  For a military vehicle with built-in accommodation you should check with the Insurer of the vehicle that this modification is covered within the terms of a Historical Collectors Insurance Policy.

Question 6:  


Can I bring an uninsured vehicle (unrestored/partially restored vehicle or one that I do not use on the road) to a Trust show?



Show organisers will refuse entry of such a vehicle without having evidence of third party vehicle insurance.  In the Road Traffic (Amendment) Act 1982 it states that where vehicles are permitted on land not normally a classified highway that land when such vehicles are used or parked thereon is deemed to be a temporary public highway for the purpose of vehicle movement. All show grounds hosting historical or, indeed, modern vehicles thereby become temporary public highways requiring the vehicle owners to have minimum Road Traffic Act third party insurance. The answer to this question equally applies to those larger vehicles usually taken to shows on low-loaders.  Even off-loading a vehicle from a low loader could be argued to constitute vehicle movement.